1950---------------2008

1950---------------2008

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Eslyn Melissa Sylvester lives on...

The Dash
A poem by Linda Ellis



I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
From the beginning to the end
He noted that first came her date of her birth
And spoke the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years
For that dash represents all the time
That she spent alive on earth.
And now only those who loved her
Know what that little line is worth.
For it matters not how much we own;
The cars, the house, the cash,
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.
So think about this long and hard.
Are there things you’d like to change?
For you never know how much time is left,
That can still be rearranged
If we could just slow down enough
To consider what’s true and real
And always try to understand
The way other people feel
And be less quick to anger,
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we’ve never loved before
If we treat each other with respect,
And more often wear a smile
Remembering that this special dash
Might only last a little while.
So, when your eulogy is being read
With your life’s actions to rehash
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent your dash?

3 comments:

alida said...

In memory of my friend, Eslyn

Eslyn, Melissa, beautiful friend,
Fragrant flower as your name suggests.
Snatched away from us so heartbreakingly soon
Now resting where only angels with you can commune.
Nothing to portend, the imminent theft
Of a life as precious as yours, my dear and gentle friend.

Your beauty, your style, your warmth, your gentle smile
Captivated all who knew you;
Your loyalty and friendship, your generous spirit
Were just a few of your very many virtues.

These past few months I wish I had kept in closer touch
But Life got in the way with all its 'strum and drang',
and all the petty chores, that don’t seem to matter anymore.
Now that you’re gone, only memories of you I clutch.
I’ll never understand what caused you so suddenly to leave.
I only know that I shall forever, your absence grieve.

They say that illness left you a shadow of yourself.
For myself, I shall always remember you,
radiant and beautiful, in the golden silk suit you wore,
the very last time we said goodbye at my door
in New York City, where we so many memories shared
of mutual birthdays, hours of laughter, secrets and even
fleeting moments of despair.

I eagerly awaited your promise to visit me in Palm Coast
which we joking referred to as “heaven”
Little did I know that you would depart so soon for the real one.
Now may angels embrace you in their gossamer wings
And heavenly hosts to you, softly sing.

Rest in peace, dear, beautiful, beloved friend.

Sincerely,
Alida
Palm Coast, February 2008

Unknown said...

Please see Alida's comment above in memory of Eslyn

RobertaB said...

She was a Queen, and she knew it, and we knew it.

A pleasure to have known her, always a joy to see her face and to hear that sultry voice, which I can hear now in my memory.

Loved, and her loss deeply regretted by this adoring subject.


Tribute to Eslyn

My part of, and in, Eslyn's Dash
Muriel Glasgow
New York
muriella@gmail.com


The dash between our birth and our transition comprises a set of moments and interaction, some of which are given below.

During her years at the United Nations, I remember Eslyn for her elegance and charm, especially that disarming smile.

We met usually at events dealing with women's and other UN work related issues. In addition, being from Guyana, we participated in Guyanese activities at the UN when I visited New York from my field postings with UNICEF.

However, more than eight years ago, and after my retirement, we developed a closeness around nutrition and wellness. We were always exchanging information on health and wellness-related breakthroughs, and she became a stalwart supporter of my online newsletter, Muriella's Corner. She was known to provide solid support and encouragement to her friends. So much so, that she proudly added my clothing line, Muriella Designs, to here elegant wardrobe.

In addition, after one of her many celebrity moments - this time being featured with Glen among UN personnel in a pictorial essay of life of staff in the UN by Mr Jiang, a translator from the Chinese Language Secton, we had the good fortune to be invited to participate in Xi-gong sessions frequently.

After eight years of a growing and strengthening friendship, I can only say that I was honored to be in the energetic environment surrounding Eslyn. She wore her challenges with grace and elegance.

She will be greatly missed. Our friendship lives on.